Hingham High School Chorus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Importance of Making Music

Go down

The Importance of Making Music Empty The Importance of Making Music

Post  MollySaran Tue May 21, 2013 9:21 pm

Two weekends ago I couldn't fall asleep so I decided to go on Netflix and watch a "sad" movie because I was in the mood (it sounds weird I know but its not). I remembered this movie that came out when I was in the third grade that starred my childhood idol Hilary Duff. I wasn't allowed to see it because it was rated PG-13 but I watched it a couple years later. The movie's called "Raise Your Voice" and it's about a 16 year old girl, Terri, living in Arizona with her parents and older brother, Paul. Terri is really determined to apply to this summer music program for a month in Los Angeles where she would be given many opportunities for music scholarships, publicity, and growth; however, her strict Dad disapproves. Terri's free-spirited brother Paul decides to compile a bunch of video clips of Terri singing and playing piano into the performing arts program to convince them to accept her. Paul successfully sends the video into the program and Terri has no idea. Unfortunately, on the way back from a concert Terri and her brother Paul get hit by a drunk driver and Paul dies, however, Terri lives. Terri is then contacted by the performing arts program that she has been accepted. Her Mother and her Aunt pull strings to allow Terri to go without her Dad finding out and she sets out for LA. This movie seems very childish, as it sort of is, but every time I watch it I feel such a strong passion for music. At the music program Terri is forced to sight sing, take individual lessons, take tests, perform, and step out of her comfort zone. It reminds me so much of the Major Works concert this year. We all had to learn on our own and work together to put on a good concert. For as silly as it may seem, this movie was one of the many small driving forces that pushed me towards music at such a young age. Not only had I idolized Hilary Duff, I always dreamed of having the courage to perform in front of an audience that didn't consist of my stuffed animals and I knew from an early age that music does change the world we live in. Music is far too overlooked today and in my opinion it is the only thing that keeps us sane.

MollySaran

Back to top Go down