Hingham High School Chorus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The New Technique

2 posters

Go down

The New Technique Empty The New Technique

Post  rmcdonnell14 Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:40 pm

When I first learned our new technique of sight singing instead of using our books, I was quite skeptical of its purpose. I thought it was silly that we swayed from side to side and repeated syllables that little children could say. But after a few classes of repeating the same exercises my sight singing abilities improved. While learning the new music, it became easier to read the music and decipher the notes. My confidence with reading music increased and I couldn't wait to continue and learn more. In the past, I struggled a lot with learning new music and sight singing, but now I feel more comfortable to make mistakes and learn from them to become a better singer. I underestimated the technique Mr. Young presented to us. I realized how such basic exercises lead to bigger and better abilities.

rmcdonnell14

Back to top Go down

The New Technique Empty Sight Singing

Post  marykateleonard Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:08 pm

My opinion of sight singing has defiantly changed since the start of this year. Last year in Concert Chorale I felt more apt to follow the crowd and I was okay with not really getting all of the notes. This year I came into the new chorus with a new determination to learn, and I feel it has really paid off. The atmosphere in our chorus promotes leadership, and I truly feel like I am steadily improving as a singer. Last year at this time I never would have thought I would be sight singing our repertoire with absolutely no help from the piano! As the music gets harder while we are preparing for our Major Works concert, I feel like I am keeping up rather than drowning in the vast amount of notes we are forced to encounter in the Stabat Matar. I’m very happy with my progress and I hope to keep improving my sight singing throughout the year!

marykateleonard

Back to top Go down