Hingham High School Chorus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The New Technique

2 posters

Go down

The New Technique Empty The New Technique

Post  Aoife Kingsbury Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:55 pm

I thought that this forum related most closely to what I want to talk about.. I think that this new method of warming up and learning music that Mr Young taught us today is going to be tough, sometimes not very enjoyable, but if it works out, we will definitely be a stronger CHorus program. We will also be more like the Strings and Band kids, because we will be doing some hardcore sight-reading and learning complete pieces without the piano. In that way, i think this new method make us more like instrumentalists, and hopefully approaching singing this way will make most of us better musicians, or at least appreciate how much help the piano was giving us before.

Aoife Kingsbury

Back to top Go down

The New Technique Empty Instrumental vs. Vocal Music

Post  jennalee9896 Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:19 am

I agree with Aoife that we will be more like the Band and Strings students by doing more hardcore warmups and ear training exercises. When we learn music, we can use a piano to play our part and be able to hear what it sounds like before actually trying it ourselves. However, when you are playing an instrument and learning new music, you have to read your music and play to notes yourself. You don't have a piano to rely on for learning notes. By not using a piano when we warm-up, we are improving our musical literacy by actually reading the notes on the page rather than relying on another instrument to play it for you. In singing, YOU are your own instrument, so if band and strings musicians have to use their instruments to learn their notes, then we singers should use our instruments to learn music: our own voices.

jennalee9896

Back to top Go down