Hingham High School Chorus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is Music?

Go down

What is Music? Empty What is Music?

Post  Nicole Tivnan Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:04 pm

It seems like such a simple question, but every time I look at this question, I cannot seem to find an answer. Music isn't just this or that; it is not a simple thought that someone can easily express; it is not any one thing. Music is so much greater than any words can do justice. I have found, over the years that I can find my every emotion, every thought, every piece of myself in music. It seems that music holds my exposition, rising action, climax, and if I let it, I am left with my resolution. Above all else, I feel that music embodies the most of who I am and what I can become. My story is being told when I let the music fill me and become me; when music pour out my fingers or throat, or when I let it enter through my ears and absorb into my whole body.
Even beyond that, I think that we may be doing an injustice to music by limiting it only to notes and pitches, or even sound. Music is its own character, its own life that rises and falls just like any other. There is so much more to music than I think we realize. One of my favorite quotes is “where words fail, music speaks” from Hans Christian Anderson. I cannot even articulate how true this is to me because whenever I try to put into words my thoughts or emotions, it is such a struggle to define and describe them, yet music seems to speak to them effortlessly. So to answer the question, I do not know what music is, but I know that it is incredible and that it means a lot to me.

Nicole Tivnan

Back to top Go down