Hingham High School Chorus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is Music?

Go down

What is Music? Empty What is Music?

Post  katecris Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:52 pm

To me, a sound becomes music when it stops being just noise. This happens when the person hearing the sound has a reaction to it (good or bad). To some people, waves crashing on a beach is just noise that tells them when the next wave might appear, but to others it has a rhythm to it or just may sound beautiful to them. Everyone can find his/her own simple music in everyday life, its when music is played on an instrument (voice included) that it may become more complex. When I think of music, I usually think of notes written on a piece of paper. However, this is not music, it's just notes. Its when expression, feeling and passion are put into these notes, that they become music. This is because all these things produce a reaction from the listener. Whenever I hear a performance that lacks these 3 factors, I tend to zone out, and the sound becomes backround noise because I am not paying attention. Its when the performance is full of life is when I listen and enjoy it (or sometimes not) and I understand the feeling that is being portrayed. This is why we must keep working to put expression, feeling and passion into our songs that we sing, since we want to have the audience hanging on to every sound that we make, feeling what we feel. This is a connection that only occurs through music, and hopefully we can achieve this in our next concert.

katecris

Back to top Go down