Hingham High School Chorus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is music?

Go down

What is music? Empty What is music?

Post  Andrea White Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:37 pm

I think music is a collection of sounds that sound melodic when grouped together. Of course, if this is the definition of music, then why do some musical pieces contain moments of discord? Does the presence of discord mark a piece as "unmusical"? In my opinion, I think the presence of discord makes a piece prettier and more musical, as long as the discord resolves itself. The presence of discord in music seems to highlight the melodic parts, making them seem even more beautiful than they would be without the discord.Since we've established that music is music whether there's discord or not, let's focus on another topic: songs with words. You get to a point where you're listening to a song and you realize that the singer is basically speaking lyrics to a background of synthesized violins. I can think of very few songs that have synthesized instruments or voices in it that I consider actual music. Sadly, this means that the majority of the current Top 40 "hits" aren't actual music. Personally, I prefer either alternative music (because rarely is an alternative singer's voice auto-tuned) or classical pieces, mostly because the current music isn't worth listening to. A last definition of music is that it has to have lyrics that rhyme. The words don't have to rhyme too perfectly (like "fondue" and "you"), because there comes a point when rhyming can be a little much, but the lyrics have to show some creativity and emotion. But in the end, it's not really my definition of music that matters, since everyone else has their own definition. Even so, I'm sticking to my original point: music is a collection of sounds that eventually sound melodic when grouped together, and if there are lyrics, then they must rhyme.

Andrea White

Back to top Go down