Hingham High School Chorus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We should do more Sight Singing!

Go down

We should do more Sight Singing! Empty We should do more Sight Singing!

Post  Sabrina Clarke Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:51 pm

In my opinion, sight singing is vitally important for a singer. We need to be able to look at a piece of music and be able to have a general consensus of what is should sound like, what is the tonic note, and how we sing in relation to the notes that we see. In AP Music Theory, sight singing has been one of the highlights of the class for me. I was always okay at sight singing in chorus but now I can say that I feel pretty confident when I sit in AP Music Theory and we perform two excerpts from the sight singing books. I think that we should do more of it in class too. Because we do sight singing when learning our repetoire, it seems to have slipped through the cracks. But the little excerpts from the books actually could be more helpful for us. But I feel like we should spend time learning how to figure out which note is "do" and or "la" and how to figure that out. If we spent time on figuring out little excerpts, eventually, we as a class, would be able to figure out how to look at a piece of repetoire and say "Oh yeah, that is in Bb major so "Do" is Bb which means that we start on "Mi" which sounds like this". It would make the class more confident and I feel like we should continue to develop this skill.

Sabrina Clarke

Back to top Go down