Hingham High School Chorus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sight-Singing

Go down

Sight-Singing Empty Sight-Singing

Post  Katie Kelleher Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:12 pm

Lately in chorus we have started using our sight-singing books as part of our vocal warmup. I've realized that this year the exercises come easier to me now that I have been sight-singing for a couple of years. Clearly years of practicing reading notes on a scale has payed off, since I don't have to always write in the solfege syllables before singing a collection of notes. If the notes are simple enough I sometimes find it easier to sing the tune on a neutral syllable like "la". The ability to somewhat sight-read helps tremendously when we are learning new pieces. Especially without the help of Mr. Young, during rehearsals it is necessary that we know if something we are singing is not what is written. Although it may seem tedious to go through the several sight-singing exercises I feel it helps us during our own repertoire more than anything. I'm interested to see how I do during our next singing assessment in which we are given a random exercise to sight-read. I feel I have the skills to make my way around a scale, I just need to be mindful of the steps between notes and the rhythm.

Katie Kelleher

Back to top Go down