Hingham High School Chorus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BROADWAY (talent expo)

Go down

BROADWAY (talent expo) Empty BROADWAY (talent expo)

Post  Eliza Daniels Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:35 pm

Never before have I looked forward to and anticipated a concert as highly as I anticipate Talent Expo 2012. Although I may not be an active member of the drama department, musicals are no doubt essential components in my life. While many people may prefer to turn on KISS 108 or 94.5 on the radio, I usually plug in my IPOD and sing songs from musicals at every chance I get. Broadway, for me, provides a place to let my inner theatre kid thrive and love, and put the athlete on hold. Over the years, I have seen many popular Broadway musicals such as American Idiot, Memphis, Wicked, the Lion King, 42nd Street, Chicago, and many others. Typically, after the show, I immediatly rush home to download the soundtrack, and usually have every song memorized within a week. I have found, however, that the recent musicals are not neccessarily the best. Each summer I attend Long Lake Camp for the Arts in New York, and while many of my friends are cast in amusing musicals such as Rocky Horror Picture Show, Les Mis, or Annie, I have been cast in older musicals such as Starmites, the Drowsy Chaperone, and Footloose. I have come to realize these Broadway scores are equally, if not more, beautiful and impressive as those I have recently watched. I tend to appreciate Broadway music more than classical music or even modern pop or rap because there is a certain feeling of power and strength conveyed in the majority of music, exemplified perfectly in Aidia's "The God's Love Nubia." I admire the energy which seeps from Broadway performers and admire thier endless talents. Choosing a favorite musical had always been difficult for me. Before december of 2009, my top favorites were Phantom of the Opera, and Rent. Everything changed when my parent's took me to watch In the Heights. I had never previously experienced a show that involved such amazing choreography, modern day rapping and language, interesting plot line, comedic dialogue, passionate ballads, and emotional group songs. After seeing the musical, I was reminded why I fell in love with Broadway. The ability to allow a person to forget thier stress and pressure of everyday life, and transport them to a new time and place, is truly a magical experience. The passion and strength with which Broadway performers sing never cease to amaze me. I am truly ecstatic that we are paying tribute to musical scores written by talented composers, and made famous through flawless performers. Broadway music will always remain near to my heart, and I am very excited to share this experience in the spring of exploring the world of Broadway with the entire chorus.

Eliza Daniels

Back to top Go down