Hingham High School Chorus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Music Theory

Go down

Music Theory Empty Music Theory

Post  Sabrina Clarke Wed May 08, 2013 12:08 am

Although I consider the courses to be separate in my mind, taking Music Theory this year has tremendously helped me in chorus. I find it much easier to understand a piece while learning it because I understand which key the piece is in, or the meter and time signature of the piece. I especially feel that I am confident with sight singing. This has really helped our new approach to rehearsals. I can look at a piece and know where tonic and dominant is just based on the key signature. Before taking theory, it would take me a long time to figure out which key the piece was in or where "do" was. My years in chorus have also helped with my theory class. I really believe that there should be a non-AP level music theory class at our school prior to taking the AP level course. It sounds less "scary" than having a college level course but it would benefit many music students! But I believe everyone should take theory. It has been one of my favorite classes in high school and I have seen my musical knowledge expand over the course of the year.

Sabrina Clarke

Back to top Go down