Hingham High School Chorus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mentor/Mentee

2 posters

Go down

Mentor/Mentee Empty Mentor/Mentee

Post  Andrea White Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:49 pm

This year being my freshman year in high school, I was understandably more than a little nervous the entire month of September. However, the realization that there was at least one upperclassman who didn't think of me as simply a "froshie" was comforting. My mentor is Elika Pevlyn, and she, through her constant support and yummy treats, has made my adjustment to high school much easier than it would've been otherwise. An added bonus is that I recently found out that she and I live on the same street, so I now have someone to talk to on the bus ride home. This would never of happened if not for the Mentoring program. Before the fall concert, Elika presented me with a cupcake and the wise words, "Don't eat it yet- dairy isn't good for your voice." This valuable piece of information I never would've had if not for the Mentor/Mentee program. (And I don't know if it's an actual medical fact or simply a mental thing, but I tested the whole "don't consume dairy before singing" idea and I think that I sing better if I don't drink milk beforehand.) I like knowing that I have an upperclassman (woman, actually) who's just there to give me advice and encourage me to be the best singer I can be. I fully support the Mentor/Mentee program, and I hope that it lasts for a very long time.

Andrea White

Back to top Go down

Mentor/Mentee Empty Mentor/Mentee

Post  hollyhancock15 Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:59 pm

Being new the high school, I was extremely nervous, as I did not know what to expect. At the beginning of the year I did not know many upper class men, but seeing my mentor walking through the halls, she always gives me a big hello, making my day all the more better. Through the Mentor/Mentee program, I was able to meet more upperclassmen such as my mentor, Amanda Emmel. This amazing program has given me a new comfort and confidence when it comes to talking to upperclassmen. She made my choral experience extremely enjoyable by getting me exited for my concerts and even getting me Twizzlers and chocolate milk! I had heard of Amanda through the Cross Country team, but never had the courage to talk to her (since she was older). I also think that the pasta parties are a great way to bond with our mentors outside of class. Now I can walk through the halls knowing that when I see her she will always say Hi and smile at me no matter what. This program was such a good idea, and I know that my fellow classmates will agree with me!

hollyhancock15

Back to top Go down