Hingham High School Chorus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How does one define Music?

Go down

How does one define Music? Empty How does one define Music?

Post  jake.vandine Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:47 pm

Personally, I think I've answered this question for myself, at least. What I've decided is everyone has different boundaries on what things qualify as music. For instance, should Techno or Dubstep not be considered music just because they're synthesized? What I think is that each person hears different music. One person may really dislike a certain genre, like Rap for instance, so they'd say that they didn't think that it's really music. Personally, I consider Dubstep and Techno to be a type of real music because I enjoy listening to it, but I know people who don't think it's music. It's all a matter of personal definition. Music is defined by Google as "The art or science of combining vocal or instrumental sounds (or both) to produce beauty of form, harmony, and expression of emotion". However, people interpret this all different ways, as I said. "Beauty of form, harmony, and expression of emotion" is different to everyone because everyone has a personal opinion of beauty, or someone might feel that the music expresses their emotions while another may not feel moved by the music. Basically, what music is isn't just some definition that someone wrote down in a dictionary, it's the beautiful sounds of life that we hear, and everyone will have a different opinion of what beautiful sounds are.

jake.vandine

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum